Friday, March 12, 2010

Guys and Dolls

You know, lately I've been noticing the differences between guys and girls. I mean, not that I'm just noticing - I have two brothers and am onto my second boyfriend so you would think that I wouldn't dwell on these things by now.

I suppose I could thank my resident mad scientist anatomy teacher for noting differences today (differences other than the fact that the genitalia happens to be remarkably different). As we explored the various inner structures and organs of the head and neck - an exercise that left me visualizing it on everyone I happened to space out in the direction of for the next two periods and horribly distracting during Anthro (apologies, Tea) - he mentioned the obvious difference of an Adam's apple while trying to determine the gender of a badly drawn face he had produced. This particular specimen lacked such a feature, but had the more sloping forehead characteristic of males and less-rounded eye sockets also generally indicative that the owner has a penis.

These remarkably small differences highlight the physical differences between male and female, but sometimes I feel it is mannerisms that define gender more than exactly what plumbing someone possesses, or if we can relate them to romance novels and make lewed suggestions about the size of the shaft. Not that if you stood up to pee and happened to be female you would automatically be a boy in disguise, it's just there are little things that boys do.

For example, that entire half of the species is programmed with two brains: one of which actually lacks gyri or any other significantly brain-like bits aside from sensory and motor neurons. This second brain - caused by a lack of DNA needed to survive that is generally found on the second X chromosome and missing on the Y - programs for mannerisms such as an infallible ability to miss the most obvious female interest or disinterest. It also codes for leaving the toilet seat up no matter how many times you carefully explain to them that when you flush fecal matter will be blown up out of the toilet and inevitably, some of it will end up on your toothbrush.


And yet, despite all their shortcomings, just looking around Paperclip makes me wonder if it's not that boys have too little DNA, but girls have too much.




Then, as it generally does, my train of thought gets distracted by a very cute little kitty it wanted to go pet and came off of the tracks, leaving this entire post nonsensical and abruptly ended. I hope you enjoyed the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment